The War of the Worlds is a science fiction novel by the British author H.G. Wells. It was originally published in 1897 as a serial, appearing in Pearson's Magazine in the United kingdom and in Cosmopolitan magazine in the United States. It was first published in book form in 1898.
The novel is about the invasion of Earth by Martians.
There have been numerous adaptations of The War of the Worlds to other media. The most famous of those adaptations remains the 1937 radio play directed by and starring Orson Welles. it is reported that the first time the radio play was broadcast it caused mass panic when people believed they were hearing news of a genuine alien invasion.
- Text of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds on Wikisource.
- Quotations from The War of the Worlds on Wikiquote.
- Free public domain audiobook of The War of the Worlds from LibriVox.
- War of the Worlds (2005) on Moviepedia.
- There is an article on The War of the Worlds on the Halloween Wiki.