Depending on the edition, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes includes either eleven or twelve stories. The first British edition published by George Newnes Ltd. omitted "The Cardboard Box" while the first American edition by Harper published in February 1894 included the story. Harper removed the story from their revised edition, and the story is still omitted from some books. Although the reason for the omission is not known, it is speculated that Doyle withheld "The Cardboard Box" from the collection believing it unsuitable for younger readers.
The following stories are included in the collection.
- "Silver Blaze"
- "The Cardboard Box" (omitted from some editions)
- "The Yellow Face"
- "The Stock-Broker's Clerk"
- "The ‘Gloria Scott’"
- "The Musgrave Ritual"
- "The Reigate Squires" (also known as "The Reigate Puzzle")
- "The Crooked Man"
- "The Resident Patient"
- "The Greek Interpreter"
- "The Naval Treaty"
- "The Final Problem"
Other short-story collections in the series:
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892)
- The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1905)
- His Last Bow (1917)
- The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes (1927)