The Barsoom series is a series of science fiction novels and short stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The series takes place on the planet Mars, which its inhabitants call "Barsoom", depicted as an exotic world slowly sinking towards its eternal slumber. Barsoom is populated by various intelligent species, both human and non-human who vie for the dwindling resources of the dying planet.
John Carter (aka Captain Jack Carter, C.S.A. and gentleman of the State of Virginia), an Earthman is transported to Mars by some strange type of astral projection from his dying body on Earth. Once on Barsoom our Earthly hero quickly begins to show his physical and moral superiority by defeating and then joining together groups that have been warring against one another for generations. All to rescue his love Dejah Thoris, a Princess of Helium, the greatest of the Barsoom city states.
Online text of each novel
- A Princess of Mars (1912) | Gutenberg |
- The Gods of Mars (1914) | Gutenberg |
- The Warlord of Mars (1918) | Gutenberg |
- Thuvia, Maid of Mars] (1920) | Gutenberg |
- The Chessmen of Mars] (1922) Gutenberg |
- The Master Mind of Mars] (1928) | Gutenberg Australia, No US access |
- A Fighting Man of Mars] (1931) | Gutenberg Australia, No US access |
- Swords of Mars] (1936) | Gutenberg Australia, No US access |
- Synthetic Men of Mars] (1940) | Gutenberg Australia, No US access |
- Llana of Gathol] (1948) | Gutenberg Australia, No US access |
- John Carter of Mars (1964) consists of two shorter pieces: